Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Guys and Dolls

Childhood. Mhh, sweet indoctrinated memories. Unlike many households abundant in Disney movies, mine had zero. I think my parents did this on purpose so that I had to watch only their old classic films over and over. Lucky for me however, the two movies we owned were totally freaking awesome. Guys and Dolls and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Seven Brides is still my all-time-favorite-know-every-line-Benjamin-marry-me-movie. Owned exclusively on VHS recorded off TV.
That's us Heinemans alright! But I'll save my love for that movie for another time and place...


I hadn't seen Guys and Dolls in over ten years until last night. It's a totally different experience watching it as an adult. I will now list the reasons for your reading pleasure.

1. Adelaide is a stripper! I have fond childhood memories waking up in the morning, coming down stairs, fast forwarding to the song Take Back Your Mink, and removed each item of clothing just like Adelaide...however I did it until I was a naked 4 year old in my living room. I was a stripper in training, is what I was!




Look at that sweet innocent face!
Miss Adelaide, I trusted you.





2. Marlon Brando was seeeeeeeexy. (This makes the list because as a child I didn't know what sexy was......And it was Marlon Brando.)


3. The guys in the movie go around a lot saying the word "marker" (or, "marka" as they pronounce it). Saying things like, "I'll give ya my marka I'll have the 1,000 bucks for ya by tomorrow." When I was a kid I thought this was a common phrase for saying you'll promise someone something. Ha. Oh how I was deceived. That explains why no one understood what the heck I was talking about. "You let me play with your Malibu Barbie and I'll give ya my marka ain't nuttin bad'll happen to her."

No comments:

Post a Comment